miércoles, 23 de marzo de 2011

Gerund or Infinitive

After synonyms and antonyms of like we use ing
I like playing football
I love watching sport on the telly
They hate eating school dinners
(Except when it has WOULD. I would like to see you in my office)

Gerund if the verb is the subject of the sentence --> Smoking is bad for you
After the expression looking forward to--> I'm looking forward to seeing you

used to--> We used to live in London (we lived but now we don't, infinitive)
be used to --> We are used to living in the country (we have always live there, gerund)
get used to --> I am getting used to eating spanish food (It is new for me, gerund)

After prepositions --> They thought of eating out

Infinitive is used after verbs that intend to do something in the "future"
I promise to help you
I want to talk to you
I can't afford to buy a new house
They expect to reach an agreement
We decided to travel abroad
I hope to be finished by 5


1) I can't imagine Peter (go) by bike.
2) He agreed (buy) a new car.
3) The question is easy (answer).
4) The man asked me how (get) to the airport.
5) I look forward to (see) you at the weekend.
6) Are you thinking of (visit) London?
7) We decided (run) through the forest.
8) The teacher expected Sarah (study) hard.
9) She doesn't mind (work) the night shift.
10) I learned (ride) the bike at the age of 5.


1. Dan enjoys science fiction.
2. Cheryl suggested
a movie after work.
3. I miss
in the travel industry. Maybe I can get my old job back.
4. Where did you learn
Spanish? Was it in Spain or in Latin America?
5. Do you mind
me translate this letter?
6. He asked
to the store manager.
7. You've never mentioned
in Japan before. How long did you live there?
8. If he keeps
to work late, he's going to get fired!
9. Debbie plans
abroad next year.
10. I agreed
Jack wash his car.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario